Let Beach Eye Care teach you how to wear your lenses with ease.
Think you’re ready to try contact lenses, but you’re feeling hesitant? Beach Eye Care is not just a doctor’s office—it’s also a teaching facility. Learn everything you need to know about types of different types of contact lenses, placement, removal and maintenance here.
Types of Contact Lenses
- Soft Contact Lenses
- Silicone Hydrogel Soft
- Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP or Hard)
- Daily Wear or “Dailies”
- Disposable Contacts
- Soft Torics for Astigmatism
- Colored Contacts
Contact Lens Maintenance
Your contact lenses require proper care for successful wear and to maintain healthy eyes. It is recommended that you remove your contact lenses each night at least 1 hour before going to bed. It is important that you replace lenses as advised, EVEN IF THEY FEEL OKAY. Your contact lenses should feel just as comfortable at the end of the cycle as they do at the beginning of the cycle.
- Your eyes itch or feel funny
- One lens is more noticeable than the other
- Your vision seems fuzzier than with your glasses
- One eye sees better than the other
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water, rinse very thoroughly, and dry with a lint-free towel before touching your lenses.
- Handle your lenses with clean fingertips. Avoid lens contact with fingernails.
- Always keep your contact lens case and solution with you.
- Absolutely never use tap water, saliva or a hard lens solution on soft contact lenses.
- If you lose a lens and then find it after it has “dried up” and it is brittle, DO NOT re-hydrate the lens. It will be warped and can scratch your eye.
- The doctors at Beach Eye Care recommend that you never swim or shower in your contact lenses.
- If eyes become red, irritated, painful or if you have any discharge or reduced vision: REMOVE CONTACT LENSES IMMEDIATELY, AND CONTACT THE OFFICE AT: 757-425-5550. PLEASE DO NOT REINSERT CONTACT LENSES UNTIL SEEN BY ONE OF OUR DOCTORS.
Placing & Removing your Contact Lenses
Contact Lens Solutions
Depending on the types of contact lenses you use, our doctors recommend different solutions. The doctors DO NOT recommend using a generic solution as you can never be sure of the additives or changes made to the product. You should always be using products made and sold by the same company that provides your contact lenses. Beach Eye Care recommends the following solutions for caring for your eyes:
CLEAR CARE® Solution
Our Doctor’s recommend this cleaner for any monthly wearer’s. It disinfects and breaks down build up the best giving the lens ability to provide the most oxygen to the cornea.
Blink RevitaLens® Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution(MPDS)
This solution delivers all day comfort and effective protection against harmful germs and bacteria that can develop during contact lens wear.
Biotrue Multi-Purpose Solution
This solution combines a dual disinfection system and pH equal to healthy tears and protein management to provide exceptional disinfection.
Opti-Free Pure Moist All Day Comfort Solution
This solution surrounds your lenses in a cushion of moisture, provides all-day comfort and creates a barrier that reduces deposits and debris.
Contact Lens FAQs
Your eyes’ general health will be evaluated for:
- tear production
- eye shape
- blinking, eyelids
- specific prescription
Your general health and other factors will be assessed:
- current medications
- motivation to wear contacts
- work environment
- past history with contacts
- ability to properly care for your contacts
This complete evaluation enables us to select the appropriate contact lenses for you. Our doctors recommend an annual evaluation of your eye health to monitor for allergies, infections, dry eyes and other medical eye problems.
Contact lens fittings can be performed on the day of your initial complete eye exam by informing the receptionist of your desire when scheduling your appointment.